John's growth!

baby

Barbara's growth!

baby

Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Response to a Request For a Faith Building Story




GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS
By Esther McLaws
Written 12/20/2012 
When I was 17 years old I had an experience that increased my faith. Two weeks before this experience happened my Young Women leader gave a lesson on prayer. Part of her lesson was on how to pray and that when we are praying we should ask for very specific things. She told a story about someone who feel down while running and asked for the right person to come along and it just happened to be the perfect person who could help her. (That is sadly all the details I can remember from her lesson) But, it was a huge part of my faith building experience, and I was able to practice it and see it work.

I stayed out late with J.R. one night and drove him home. We then sat and talked probably until about 1am or something. I was sleepy and starting to fall asleep. So as an unwise teenager I got in the car turned on the heater and started the 20 minute drive home from Eagle Mountain to Lehi. About half way home I drifted off and ran into a pole on the side of the road, being sleepy I didn’t realize it until after I started to drive again and then realized I had a flat tire and I was in big trouble. It was dark; it was still a ten to fifteen minuet drive to my house, my parents were asleep, and I had their only vehicle. Remembering my young women’s lesson I said a quick prayer that if someone were to stop to help me it would be the right person. I looked for the car jack, I got out the spare tire. About five cars passed me. Finally a man stopped. I wasn’t scared, just grateful that someone was willing to help me out. 

It was the perfect person. He has no idea how much he helped me out that night and how his kindness has and will always affect my testimony. Someday I hope God will bless him for it. It was an older guy probably in his forty’s he was clearly not a practicing Mormon, but I wasn’t scared of him. He helped me look for the jack which we couldn’t find (later I found out it was kept in the hood of the car, of all places.) He told me my spare tire was flat. He drove me all the way into Lehi to a gas station with air (the one by the freeway) It was about a 20-30 min drive. He told me my dad’s SUV was a 4 wheel drive and that I had broken off the 4 wheel drive part that was on the wheel. He told me he was a mechanic and that he had the spare part. If I came by his shop he would give it to me. He is one of the nicest man I have met in my life. He told me that where he was from it was illegal to not stop and help someone who had broken down (I doubt that is the law anywhere anymore). 

A week or so passed and my dad searched everywhere for the part that broke off his truck. I think he found it but they wanted $500-$1000 or something like that for the part. We went to the guys shop in Provo and he gave it to my dad for free. 

I can honestly testify that God answers prayers, this is only one experience in my life that has proven to me there is a God who loves and watches over us. I know he could have just let me suffer through all that on my own and let me learn a very hard and scary lesson. Instead he chose to have compassion on me and build my faith. I am grateful every day for my life, for my God, and for this kind man who without knowing it answered a prayer, and built my faith.

No comments: