John's growth!

baby

Barbara's growth!

baby

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

wonderful little moments from my day....

School started back up and there is a break between two of my classes that allows me to take an institute class. :) This semester I am taking Teachings of the Living Prophets with Kenneth Lewis. After class I ate lunch and then I couldn't find my water bottle so I went back up to my classroom. It wasn't there and I have no idea where it went however while we were talking he asked what my major was and what my plans are. I told him I was studying Mechanical Engineering and that it's what I'm suppose to be doing right now. A lady brought in this cute ring of laminated prophet cards that were handed out to the member of her primary(or which one was her child) She then borrowed it from her child and brought it to class. I then picked it up very impressed as each card had a photo on the front, a cute colored paper, and most impressively a description of each prophet on the back including birth place, short life description and a few other things. I then told him that whoever did this was a "cuteifier" which is my word for those who enjoy, and have a gift for making things adorable and who diligently work to hand out creative adorable "cutified" things. (Which I had to explain my definition to my teacher) I then somehow explained that I so wish I was a cutifier. Upon which; and finally getting to the point of this long explanation; he said something along the lines of:
 "yea but think of how awesome your talent for math is and how many girls are brain dead in that area." 
It was so simple and something he most likely will not remember saying; however it hit my heart with a strong force. Basically it made me realize that I need to stop whining about what I don't have and the gifts I wasn't given and live up to the gifts I was given. It was a powerful message to me in that moment and one I hope to remember always.

Last Sunday my stake and the Chandler Alma stake were combined making us the Mesa Alma stake. This made my calling as Stake Primary First Counselor non existent and they brought us in tonight to officially release us. I was expecting it but it still sunk my heart. Evan though it was challenging I really enjoyed it. I love the cub scouting program. There was one thing that stood out to me as the counselor was releasing us, he thanked us for our service and he said I know that your hard work and leadership has affected the life of the children, often you wonder if what you're doing really filters down but it does, we are raising future missionaries, and temple attenders. These little ones with awkward self doubts are learning they are children of God and there potential is endless.

I loved it! I loved to hear that perspective. Mostly I loved to have a renewed vision of what's important. Helping people and children make their way back to Heavenly Father.  How really that should be our focus for all people. I guess I realized how powerful the lesson that you are a son or daughter of a heavenly father who loves you and wants you to be like him and who wants you to reach your full potential in life. How that one lesson can really make such a huge difference in the lives of a person or a child.

Once again, I must say, I love the gospel and I think it's amazing in it's simplicities and complexities. I feel blessed. :)

No comments: