John's growth!

baby

Barbara's growth!

baby

Monday, October 4, 2010

Barbara is three!!!

It's a little crazy to know that I have a three year old! She is sooo adorable! I love her to death and the last three years have been awesome! We've had our moments like all new mommies I'm not perfect. I told my friend that I'm a "supper mom in training, but I'm not there yet". anyway I love my kiddos to death! I hope they know it, and that I can do what is best for them, and help teach them the things that they will need to know in this life.

Barbara had two birthday parties this year. She had a friend one and a family one and they both went really well. We had the friend one at our house on her birthday, and we just invited a bunch of friends from nursery, and Angelina (the little girl we went camping with). She had a lot of friends come, and it made her a bit nervous at first. Finally we had some cake and she warmed up. We set up a slide in a pool for her, and a slippy slide, and a little craft table. Then we ate some cake and ice cream!
For the family party we just had it after conference because the whole family was together then! It was tons of fun and the night before her second party during our night time talk she said "I so excited for my nother birfday" and her eyes sparkled a little! It was really adorable! It made her feel special twice!

She's gotten to this stage where she very determinedly says no about something, and if I fight it she starts to cry, also she sometimes has to do things a certain way and if we don't do it that way she starts to yell and get angry. I'm not really sure how to approach these stages. I feel it is good that she is so decisive. My mom slipped in that "you just have to take control", after one of her fits while we were over there this weekend. The only thing is, I've never wanted parenting to be about control. (J.R. has told me this before to, and we debate it often) I think that's satins way, in a way. I more want to lead by example, and help her through rough spots, but, I also want her to be able to listen, because it's important for children to be able to follow directions from parents in order to have a smooth running home and I feel if she feel enough trust in listening to us she will be more likely to listen to her heavenly father, and the holy ghost, if we teach her in the right way. I want her to obey because she feels she wants to because she feels the importance of whatever it is I'm asking her to do. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent. So, what I've decided to do is to make a binder of all the talks I can find that give parenting advice, and see if I can find a solution to my parenting technique dilemmas. (Sunday there was at least three) Then J.R. and I will pray together about what our different approaches will be. (At least that is my ideal solution.) Does anyone have any good talks they've herd recently that they would like to suggest? I would love some, but I am asking for ones that come from a general conference. (I am currently limiting it to that as to not get to overwhelmed with the idea) :)

This weekend I'm flying to Utah without the kiddos, and then John is having his surgery the Thursday I get back. I'm nervous, but I have faith it will all work out! :) God is definitely near, and our family appreciates all the prayers and fasting done in our behalf! Thank you!

4 comments:

RJ said...

Yay! Happy Birthday Barbara! I so wish we could have been there! We're so lucky to call you our friend!
Love, Sophia and Rachel

P.S. How 'bout parenting articles that were in the Ensign, would those be narrowed down still? :) If so, I'll send you a couple I love!

Anonymous said...

I would love those articals to read :)
-Esther

Sarah Carroll said...

I think you have a great idea but I'm not sure conference talks will get into advice on whether or not to "take control" when Barbara has her mind set on something. I try to read things when I have a question and I try to copy Craig on what I'm reading so he knows where I'm coming from. When Alayna turned 2 I was worried about tantrums and I read an article from a childhood behavorial specialiast that said if you're child isn't hurting you or themselves then there isn't anything wrong with letting them have some control. It's generally a phase they go through at that age and they'll grow out of it (maybe in a year). It said that the parents are in control of so much in the child's life that it's the childs way of controlling something in her life. Think about... you (the parent) controls a lot because kids aren't self sufficient at that age. She just wants to be in control of something too. I hope that helps.

Sarah Carroll said...

P.S. I'd love to see the articles Rachel mentioned too. If you end up with copies, send them my way too.