John's growth!

baby

Barbara's growth!

baby

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Barbara has a cold :(


I don't think there is anything quite as exhausting as a sick baby. Not only does it make you really really really sad, because there is nothing you can do about it, but you lose a lot more sleep. To all those parents out there that have had sick babies, and lived to tell the tail. Well done, I am very impressed. For a comparison, I once climbed to the top of the middle Teton (elevation 12,804). By the time we got to the top we would only go thirty steps at a time before we got winded. Being a mother of a sick three month old, is slightly more challenging for me then continuing up the last mile of the middle Teton. I am not entirely sure why, but many things are challenging about it. For instance, You feel sad for your baby, you get less sleep, your baby cries more, your husband is less patient, you are less patient. Yet some how you survive, and live to tell the tail. Luckily we have family that love to hold Barbara, and love to play with her.
Mom, thanks for taking care of me when I was sick. I now understand what you went through, and she is only my first. I am impressed. To all you mothers that care for and watch after your children, who love them and try to do what's best for them. Thank you! No wonder president Hinckley is so impressed with women. "that women have special attributes and qualities. I have come to believe that yours is a godly inheritance." I think it takes a Godly person to give of themselves so much. That's what mothers do. They give. I just want to say thank you to all the mothers out there that do there best, because I now understand the sacrifices that are made for children. Thanks again

Yet we survive, and the best part is Barbara is a considerably happy baby that has started giggling! Man how your heat melts when babies giggle! It makes all the hard times worth it. Like getting to the top of the mountain. The scenery makes it all worth it. There is nothing like standing on top of a mountain, feeling the breeze, and knowing you worked soo hard to get there, and the rest of the way is down hill. :) That is kinda what baby giggles are like. They make you feel you're doing a good job. I'm trying to get a video of her giggling, but every time I bring the camera around she stops giggling to look at the camera. When I do, I'll post it.
Yet there is nothing more relaxing then a sleeping baby. Well maybe a back rub. Those are nice. So I am using sleeping time to write this, so I guess I'll join them now in their peaceful slumber. :)



love,


-Esther

3 comments:

RJ said...

Oh my goodness!! I wish we lived closer. I have a feeling we would be BFF's eventually. I have written that same post in my head a dozen times. I've titled it many different things, but lately it's, "Mommies go to heaven". Because holy cow you really do have to be selfless as a mother. It's kicking my trash, just like climbing up that crazy mountain. Sophia is just getting over her first cold. It lasted a LONG time, so start concentrating on "letting all that tension and stress go" just like in labor :)! Your in for a long ( but worth it) ride! And Sophia stops anything cute she is doing anytime we bring the camera or video camera out too. She is entranced by technology which makes for a tough capturing the cuteness time. Keep up the posts, when you're not too busy/stressed. And I'll pray for you and you pray for me! :) :) :)

RJ said...

oooh I forgot, but thought you might like to know what helped us make it through. It's so sad cause you can't GIVE them anything this young! Oh and p.s. before I forget, I LOVE the photo of your hubby sleeping with Barbara. There's just not much more precious than that. One of my friends keeps telling me I should get a crib and it's not even a teeny tiny flicker of an option. I'm like, but WHY would I want to do that? :) Whoh. See what I mean by if we lived near we would chat it up all the time????
Onto the list of what helped us.

- TONS of saline nose drops up her nostrils before using that blue bulb syringe thingy. She HATES it, but we had to do it all the time or she couldn't even hardly nurse. :(

- Investing in a cool mist vaporizer(#1 choice) or humidifyer (#2 choice) and running it all the time near her. We put a couple drops of Euculyptus oil in it and it seemed to make a difference for us.

- Nursing more often. She was sick and felt terrible and so it was both comfort for her and important for her physically to get all the immune boosting and strength from eating as much as possible.

- Propping her up on pillows at night. Helped her drain easier. The problem is if she doesn't drain she could get ear infections from the pressure of the congestion on her teeny tiny ear tubes. That's what my doc explained. So it's imp to keep her as clear as possible! (p.s. Sophia did get TWO ear infections and we treated them without antibiotics and they went away GREAT. If you ever need info on that, let me know!)

-Slept during her naps, just gave up the clean house and blogging!!!!:)

Good luck!

Esther said...

Thanks for all the advice. I have noticed Barbara having a little more ear wax, and I've been a little worried about her getting an ear infection. How do you treat those? I would love advice.