John's growth!

baby

Barbara's growth!

baby

Friday, April 18, 2008

BIKE RIDES!!!



I love to take Barbara on bike rides! In relief society a while back I passed around a sign up note asking if anyone wanted to go on bike rides with me. Two people responded, but so far I have only been able to coordinate with Rebbecca. She is a middle aged Hispanic lady. She just lives around the corner, so we meet at taco bell, usually every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday if we can.

One Monday she had worked really long and wanted to sleep instead of ride so she canceled. I decided we would go by ourselves. So we headed out. We went to the mall and deposited a check. Then we went over the free way on Longmore, and around the neighborhood. I spotted a Jamba Juice, which I have since been to three times. (Mmmmm) Then I came back over the free way, stopping to watch the cars drive by. I think its crazy to watch all the cars drive under the overpass. To think that there are that many people driving by, each with their own destination, and their own lives. It's fun to think about, and to try and guess where they are headed. Then we continued on our way. A lady had pulled over in the MCC parking lot, and she flagged us down. She asked me "can I help you, can I buy you something, can I buy you a back pack?" I'm sure I looked a little baffled, I told her "oh, we ride for fun!" she said, "It just looked like you were struggling over the over pass". so I informed her "no, we just stooped to watch the cars go by." "Oh" she said "I was just worried about you" at which time I turned and rode away. I was so dumbfounded by it. I am still not sure how to react. I think it would have been funny to ask her to buy me a car, but in the moment I wasn't witty enough. So tell me, should I be offended that a lady thought I was so poor she felt I needed help, should I be happy that she was kind enough to stop and offer assistance to someone that she thought was in some need of assistance, or should I be annoyed that the unfamiliar instantly caused her worry and anxiety, instead of curiosity and a desire to understand before she jumped to a conclusion? I don't mean to stress other people out when I go on bike rides. I simply want to get some exercise, and enjoy the out doors. I like doing it! I think Barbara does to, at least until she gets sleepy and decides it's nap time and cuddles up to my shoulder! That is really cute! Also why would a back pack be a safer option. Perhaps a bike trailer, or a bike seat. but a back pack has at least two extra holes that she could fall out of. It hasn't been sewed with love, like my sling, and it doesn't have the capabilities of my sling. (I can lay her down if she is sleepy, or I can feed her if she is hungry. I think I'll stick to the sling for now. I feel it is the safest most pleasant option. Barbara doesn't cry on our bike rides, so all is well.

I love to get out and enjoy the pleasant weather at least while I still can! That is my current philosophy, and bike rides are one great way for me not to get to board with my neighborhood. (which I don't think is very exciting if I just go for walks)

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Just be glad that this experience showed you there are still good people who are willing to help and offer assistance. I would have laughed if you had asked her to buy you a car! That would have been hilarious!

RJ said...

Did you see my post on tall the "help" I get from New Yorkers? I totally know the feeling of being like, "umm...thanks...I guess?". I agree though, it makes life alot happier if I think how nice of them to stop and give me what they felt was helpful advice. I personally LOVE that you take bike rides with Babs, that is AWESOME and it made me so jealous. I want to do it now too, thanks for the idea, we'll see how I can pull that off...

Esther said...

I was actually tried to post this as a coment, but it didn't let me. so you get to read it here. Thanks for your comment rachel.

Cheryl, you're right. I'll take it as a good thing.

Anonymous said...

How funny. I'm looking forward to biking with my upcoming baby girl this summer and have been wondering if I needed to buy something to tote her around in. Then I saw your pic and thought, oh cool, I'll just use the sling Es made for me. I hadn't even thougth of that until I saw your pic. When I read your blog, I laughed that someone thought you might be struggling, either physically or with baby needs. :)